Wednesday 17 December 2008

Why is JD crying?




















Frankly, if I knew the answer, I don't think I will still be looking so flustered, trying hard to calm her down. I don't understand these people. They see JD crying and keep asking me why is she crying. Don't they realise that babies can't talk and sometimes it is not that easy to distinguish their cries. This is just Group 1.

Then, group 2 are those people who keep dishing out advice, like baby crying so baby hungry so feed baby now (wtf! I just fed her like half hour ago), or don't go near baby when she's crying, let her cry or else I'll be spoiling her (wtf! try doing that with your own baby, I think you'll run to your baby faster than I did with mine!). Another classic, why your baby has so many spots on her face, you cannot always kiss her (wtf! From what I know it's because baby's skin is still adjusting itself to environment outside the womb so any slight contact with foreign objects like dust may cause baby acne. If it's anything else, I think it's because of your filthy hands touching her which gave her the spots). These are just 3 examples out of many many which I encounter very often.

June (and many other mothers as well), I'm sure you are able to empathize with my frustrations of having to settle a wailing baby and still put up with the nonsensical comments from other people at the same time.

It's not that I do not appreciate advice given to me. I'm grateful that people do care but sometimes they have got to understand that just because they give advice, it doesn't mean the recipients have to adopt them. I may later on if circumstances arise but it need not be now. I will never forget this once when I made 30ml of milk for JD as a top up to her earlier 60ml and this person asked me what rubbish was I doing and forced me to add another 30ml to the earlier 30ml. I didn't want to seem rude so I just quietly did what was asked of me. Well of course JD drank 30ml only and the rest had to be discarded. Need I say more? Would you know JD's appetite and feeding habits better than me?

To mothers to be, always believe in yourself. Listen to what people around you are saying but ultimately, remember that only you know what's best for your child as you are afterall your child's mother.

To my friends, my family and strangers I meet on the streets, thank you for your well meaning advice but if after hearing you out, I give you a nod and a smile please just leave it as that. I have noted your comments and will keep them in mind. Do not insist I implement your advice immediately in front of you to show that I have understood. I have.

1 comment:

windie said...

YES, i know all about crying. PLEASE dont give advice to mothers with crying babies...if you're so smart, stop the crying yrself!!