Friday 19 December 2008

An old friend


I found an old friend, a friend whom I got to know 11 years ago whilst working at a retail shop, on facebook recently. He was someone dear to me but somehow we lost contact along the way, especially when I was busy in the midst of my wedding preparations.

Through facebook, I discovered that he was recently married, posted to France and having a seemingly good time there. He drives an SLK and his wife is a tai tai. Not from a well-to-do family and certainly not one who was good academically, he was one of the most unlikely persons to have reached this status and I'm damn proud of him that he has finally achieved it. I'm sure his mom in heaven is equally pleased with her son's success. The irony is that just a decade ago he was saving hard to join our mutual friend (his girlfriend then) in France when she went over for a study stint but didn't eventually as they separated just before. Yet now, he is there with a big fat pocket and with his wife who was actually his ex girlfriend whom he had broken up with, to be with our mutual friend. Er, not too complicated to decipher I hope!

I'm sure our mutual friend who is happily married now to someone else, does not regret not continuing her relationship with this guy but she does wonder what will her life be like now if she had gotten married to him instead. Will she be enjoying the tai tai lifestyle, driving the SLK along the beaches in Nice and attending the closed door LV sales in Bordeaux?

Fate does funny things to us. Another friend was sharing with me that when she was born, her parents had brought her to the fortune teller who said that she will have 2 因緣 when she's 20+ yrs old and both paths are totally different. True enough, she was presented with this choice and she opted for the new 因緣 . She does think of her ex boyfriend occasionally and does think of what would her life be like if she had decided to stay with him but there's no way she can turn back the clock so she's better off making the best out what she's got now.

Likewise, I was initially reluctant to go to Bangkok when Windie "jio" me as I had unfinished business to settle in Singapore. But eventually I thought a break would be good and asked Mich along. Somehow I decided to ask Marc as well since he was going after Mich then, and who in turn asked Jack to join us. And who would have thought Jack would back out at the last minute leaving DW to take his place! All these happened totally unexpectedly and for a very good reason too - I met the most wonderful man ever & he is now my husband! My 因緣.

Anyway, back to my original topic, I wish this old, dear friend of mine happiness forever and if you ever read this blog, know that you will always be on my mind :)

No comments: