Wednesday 20 August 2008

Govt's rationale

What's the rationale behind the cut off date for the enhanced motherhood package?

Yes, I understand that there has to be a cut off date and not all decisions will please everyone. But why 1 Jan 2009? It's neither here nor there. If talk abt fairness, then shouldn't it be either wef May or June 09, afterall, the purpose is to encourage couples to start a family. But then again, since when was life fair? hmmph.

My baby is due anytime now and I feel a little sad that I'm not eligible for the 4th month maternity leave. It even pains me more knowing that I've lost the chance to "earn" the $7k cash benefit extended by the govt for 1st borns. If I can feel this this way, just imagine those mothers due in December 08! I wonder how's Pam taking this news.

Nevertheless, regardless of what tangible benefits I may have missed out and how disappointed I am with the policymakers, I'm still grateful for this little wonder inside my tummy. It's more than what I can ask for. All I hope now is to have a smooth delivery & a healthy baby.

Oh btw, congrats Lenggu, on the birth of your bb girl!

No comments: