Tuesday 30 March 2010

The (Little) Human Spirit


Every monday night at 10pm, I catch this documentary series on OKTO. Each episode depicts the strength of a handicapped child, fighting hard for life to go on.

Last night's one was Emergency in the Womb, which highlighted a rare syndrome that a few mothers pregnant with twins face , twin to twin blood transfusion syndrome. Today, I chanced upon Joan's most recent post and it's about a pair of twins who suffered the same fate. One is surviving. The other has passed on. It's sad that things like these happen and sometimes we wonder why does God make some people suffer so much. We start to question the existence of God and it shakes our faith in HIM. It is true, no parents should have to make the decision if they should let their child go, no parent should have to bury their child.

Being a mother and being able to understand the emotions of being one, makes it more difficult to accept this. When I read such unfortunate stories, I can only give thanks to God that my baby girl is healthy. When I am angry with her for throwing a tantrum or for disrupting my sleep, I think of the more painful experiences that other mothers have to go through and I am alot more appreciative of what I have and how lucky I already am.

This Lenten season, let us take a short moment to cast aside our material thoughts and to pray for the healing and redemption of these little children.

No comments: