Sunday 9 August 2009

Mauritius



Digital cams are great, esp if we put in a memory card with huge bytes. We get to take photos after photos and when we're done for the event, we just upload all into our computer. Sounds good eh. Unfortunately, not that great if the photos were taken for an occasion that will only occur for that one time in our lives.

Reason for me lamenting about this is because, 3 years down, I've yet to print my honeymoon photos. I wanted to go for a unique trip, something different from my usual holidays where I'm either dashing from one state to another or zipping in & out of shopping centres. So we settled for somewhere in Sud D'Afrique - the Mauritius. Somewhere serene, somewhere that's not too commercialized, somewhere that's far away from the hustle & bustle of city life. A beach holiday is one which hardly comes to my mind when I'm contemplating a getaway.

I never regretted this trip, except that maybe 5 days would have been more than enough. We chose the 8 days one, certainly not expecting that our return flight would have been delayed by an extra day as Air Mauritius did not have sufficient planes available. Yes, that is how laid back that country is. But the people were beautiful & warm. The sea was blue and so inviting. I spent my time sitting at the patio reading my book or shopping at the hotel boutiques whilst Dw was at the beach trying out the various sea sports. Not that we didn't want to spend time together, but even newly weds need time alone. This was healthy. Afterall, we watched TV together, we had dinner together, we went on excursions together and we have many many years ahead with each other. "I promise to love you and honor you, in good times and in bad, sickness and in health".

This was a truly unique experience for me. I, for one, am afraid of what's under the sea. To me, the sea is another world. A world where we humans should not encroach in. Anything that happens under the sea is way beyond our control. This is why I will never dive. I do not know how to work a snorkel. I tried but I just can never grasp the technique of breathing through that pipe & huge frames which cover my nostrils. It took a lot of persuasion from Dw that I finally gave in and went for the under the sea walk. Needless to say, I was still panicking seconds before I submerged. But once in, I was awed. I have never been that near to corals, I have never been so near fishes and walking on the seabed for the 1st time felt so surreal! Up till this day, I'm still grateful for the invention of this excursion, which otherwise, will not allow me to come up close with these live sea creatures. Somehow seeing them through submarine window panels or glass bottom boats is not the same.

I'm looking forward to my next holiday. This time round with a baby (or by then toddler) in tow. It's really a pity that the KL trip had to be forfeited but to look on the bright side, it could be a "lagi shiok" one.. I'm certainly looking forward to C's wedding in the UK. :)

No comments: