Tuesday 12 January 2010

I miss Friends..


A friend recently brought up the topic of her kid lagging behind in his writing skills, compared to his peers his age. This is a concern for me too. JD has not started to really walk yet so I can foresee further lags for her in the areas of motor skills development as she grows. I am worried of course but I've gotta trust in God that He has great plans for her.

As I was speaking with my friend, I started to think back to the days when I was 4 or 5 years old. At that time, terms like gross motor skills, fine motor skills etc were not coined yet. No one knew how many milestones their kids had to achieve by certain age, no one cared. Everyone was happy and eventually we all turned out fine.

I used to have great expectations for my child. Before she was born, I envisioned her to be a genius. As time passed, I realised that my expectations were unrealistic. I'm not a genius, neither is Dw, so how I can ever expect my daughter would be one. If she does indeed become one then it's a bonus. As she grew, it became more obvious that her motor skills development was really slow and whilst I was initially all jumpy over this, I've learnt to accept that she is progressing and progressing at her own pace. A pace which makes her happy and comfortable. That's important. That's what children should be like. Happy, carefree. Their turn for worries and stress will come soon enough. Let us not accelerate it.

It's sad when I sit back & look at how fast society has developed but how pressurized and stressed we are. Gone are the days of good old sitcoms of Friends, Fresh Prince of BelAir, Ellen to name a few. Now, we're faced with TV like CSI, Fringe, Flash Forward and worse, Desperate Housewives. Nerve biting shows that keep you on the edge of your seats, sure.. but alot more morbid, alot more gruesome.

I still have a couple more years to go before JD has to "officially" attend school. Till then, I'm determined for her to have a smashing fun toddler hood filled with screams of joy & laughter.

Talking of which, I really have fond memories of our old playgrounds of sand & cement. Those old Dragon playgrounds where we can climb and walk through the skeletal dragon, Those merry go rounds that we can get on and our parents will turn us round & round, the wooden see saw that brings us Up down, Up down and the ever classic swings with the tyre type material that we always try to turn inside out.

2 comments:

M.Messtro said...

I am totally with you here. I understand your concerns and fears over your girl's development! I worry about the same too. But I know, God's in control. And He will be the one to raise them to be who they are meant to be if we let Him, and partner with Him!

moninet said...

Yes, we'll leave them in HIS good hands :)