Wednesday 12 November 2008

Divine Intervention









This is a pic of my baby's foot when she was hospitalised recently. It was heart wrenching to see a tiny baby having to go through so many tests and to be in such pain. For the 1st time ever, I could truly feel like a mother. Now I understand what people mean when they say a mother's love is unconditional. If only I could take over baby girl's pain, take over her suffering, I would. This whole episode was traumatising, especially when her fever sky rocketed. Each time it happened, my heart would sink with worry. It didn't help when it occurred in the middle of the night and I was alone in the hospital room. Nevertheless I'm glad that this ordeal is over and my baby girl is now back to smiling & cooing right here at home.

At the beginning, I was helpless since I couldn't do anything to help my baby girl, except to leave her in the trusted hands of Dr Cheng & the kind nurses at East Shore. Then my mother urged me to pray to St. Gerard. I did. I prayed alot. I asked St Gerard to take care of my baby girl. I prayed to Jesus, I prayed to Mother Mary. Somehow, praying gave me more confidence in my girl's recovery. And I thank them for putting my girl back on the road of recovery. My mother prayed to St Jude. She prayed fervently too.

I've never been a very pious person. I had always taken religion for granted. Going to church on Sundays was more of an obligation to my parents than anything else. However these began to change when I met DW. The amazing thing was he's not even a Catholic, yet he was adamant that we follow the Christian faith closely. It surprised me to see him participating happily during Sunday masses and I began to reflect on myself.

Since I began to open myself more to God, I realised that he has helped me in more ways than one. Having to attend the Engagement Encounter was the 1st step that God helped me to prepare for my marriage. Subsequently, up till today, I know that not once did I walk alone, not during my pregnancy, not during my delivery and definitely not for the past week.

I'm convinced that divine intervention plays an important role in our lives. It doesn't necessarily have to be my God. It could be any religion that one believes in. As long as we know that somewhere out there, there is someone looking out for us.

No comments: