Monday 10 January 2011

Aged

I was at Butter Factory last Friday & i admit, i've aged.

I felt a strong sense of yearning initially when I saw the Girls were oh so young & oh so Chio in their super short skirts & super high heels & worst of all I didn't see a familiar face at all! Getting into the club was already a hassle. There was the normal queue, the guest list queue, the VIP queue. Of course i had to be at the 3rd option else i wouldn't even bother being there but the difference now is i'm in that queue not because of MY own merit but because I was a friend of the friend whose friend has a friend who's the VIP. What an awfully distant relationship. So unlike the days when all it took to get a VIP table at Dragonfly was a call from me to the VIP direct. I thought back of my heydays at Zouk when I could simply stroll to the front of the queue because i knew the bouncers & everyone (almost) on the centre platform was my friend. And talk to these 1980s kids about the iconic Mdm Wong and they will not understand. I had asked around prior to this day where exactly in Fullerton was Butter Factory. I received a whole string of replies ranging from Starbucks turn left to above Overeasy ( another huh?!). Damn, if only the reply was where Centro was, I would have known!

As the night went on & as I sat with my back facing the Singapore River & the 3 towers of MBS, my eyes were transfixed on the hip youngsters, watching them groove to House & looking at them intoxicating themselves. I still love House & I still love drinking. But I realized that I've progressed (that probably sounds more sophisticated than aged).

I've moved on to the next stage of my life where I prefer to instead drink tea at the Mandarin Oriental lounge. A place where it's my front rather than my back that faces the Singapore river & the 3 towers of MBS. A place where soulful jazz fills my nights.

Simply put: my time is over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally totally feel the same